dashboard graphs

jcalcote
Hi Yaguang,

Someone on our QA team finally noticed that the graphs at the bottom of the dashboard don't ever actually change. Are they not yet connected to real data or is there some trick to getting them to start showing graph lines? (Obviously, I haven't examined the code yet to see what's going on.)

Thanks,
John

Re: dashboard graphs

jcalcote
Yaguang - any comment on this? I can't believe we're the only ones not seeing these graphs change.

Re: dashboard graphs

bxzhu
hi  jcalcote,
      By default, the vsm does not collect the data into db.
      If you want to see the graphs change, you can do as follows:
      1. cpu data graph: you can click the "update" of "CPU_DIAMOND_COLLECT_INTERVAL" from the settings page or change the number then click "update".
      2. ceph data graph: you can click the "update" of "CEPH_DIAMOND_COLLECT_INTERVAL" from the settings page or change the number then click "update".

Re: dashboard graphs

jcalcote
Thanks for the response @bxzhu. You are correct, of course. Once I clicked the "update" button, the graphs started displaying collected data.

I have a problem with the user experience here. Originally, the settings boxes were empty and the values in the database were zero. We (and another contributor) fixed a bug with these zero values by defaulting the value to 15 seconds instead of zero. With zero values, the graph processing logic would throw exceptions. Changing the default to be non-empty and non-zero fixed these issues, but left us in a state that's now a less than optimal user experience - that is, the user has to do something that seems to make no sense (just click update on an already configured field value) in order to get the value to take effect.

Would anyone in the community mind if we just enabled the graphs by default to use the existing default values? If a user wants to disable them, he can always go in and click the disable check box.

John