ceph installed on controller/admin node when not osd/monitor

ceph installed on controller/admin node when not osd/monitor

jcalcote
Hi Yaguang,

We've hit an interesting situation. We've had a test run recently by our QA team where they installed a multi-node system with the VSM controller/admin node NOT being part of the ceph cluster. That is, the controller/admin node where VSM was deployed was neither a monitor, nor an OSD host. Yet, VSM appears to have installed ceph components on that node. Here's a bit of code we found in the install.sh script:

function preinstall_controller() {
    debconf-set-selections <<< 'maria-db-server mysql-server/root_password password root'
    debconf-set-selections <<< 'maria-db-server mysql-server/root_password_again password root'
    apt-get install -y ceph ceph-mds apache2 libapache2-mod-wsgi librbd1 mariadb-server memcached ntp openssh-server openssl keystone rabbitmq-server rbd-fuse expect  smartmontools
}

Why does VSM install ceph on the controller node when it's not part of the ceph cluster in any way? Can we fix this or is there some important reason why the controller node must have ceph components installed on it, even if it's not going to be a monitor or OSD host?

Thanks,
John

RE: ceph installed on controller/admin node when not osd/monitor

ywang19
Administrator

Hi John,

This should be a bug, I believe controller doesn’t need “ceph” and “ceph-mds” packages, just go ahead to fix it.

Thanks,

[...]

http://vsm-discuss.33411.n7.nabble.com/ceph-installed-on-controller-admin-node-when-not-osd-monitor-tp378.html

To start a new topic under vsm-discuss, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from vsm-discuss, click here.
NAML